FAQs About Living In Panama
1) Cost Of Living In Panama
This is our most popular question.
We have alot of information to help you figure out your budget in Panama.
- 3 Questions To Ask Yourself To Get a Realistic Budget
- Actual budgets of 25 expats living in Panama
- How much does it cost to live in Panama City?
- What is the cost of living in towns popular with expats? (i.e., Boquete, El Valle, Coronado)
- Interview on Cost of Living in Panama with Lief Simon of Live & Invest Overseas
2) How Can I Make Money In Panama?
- Can I work in Panama?
- What is the best way to earn money in Panama?
- Watch video of Jordan explaining how he earns money by teaching English on-line
3) Health Care In Panama
- About health care in Panama
- The health care systems in Panama
- Do you need health insurance in Panama?
- What are your health insurance options and more
- Which health insurance is right for you?
- How to apply for Panama health insurance plus some advice
- Our health care experiences in Panama
- Does living in Panama make me exempt from Obamacare? (US Citizens only)
- How do I qualify for an exemption?
- Do I need to do anything?
5) Do I Qualify For Panama’s Pensionado Visa?
- What is the Pensionado Visa program
- What age do I have to be to qualify?
- Are its benefits and discounts mostly hype?
6) How Do You Buy Property In Panama
- Is it similar to the process in the States or Canada?
7) Is It Safe To Buy ROP Property?
- What precautions can you take?
8) How Can I Get Money To Buy Property?
- 18 Ways To Finance Real Estate In Panama
9) How To Get A Mortgage Loan In Panama
- What are the 2 factors that determines if you will get a loan
- What documents will you need?
- Do you need to be a resident?
10) How To Open A Bank Account In Panama
- Can Americans open a bank account?
- What documents do I need to bring?
11) Is Panama Safe?
- How safe is Panama?
- What is the crime rate in Panama?
- Is the government & currency stable?
12) Where To Live in Panama?
- What are my choices?
13) What Is Panama’s 10 Kilometer rule?
- Is Puerto Armuelles inside or outside 10K line?
- Can you buy property within 10K of the border?
14) What Is The Weather or Climate Like?
- Rainy, cool, humid, dry…?
The ‘Where To Live’ page answers the climate question too.
15) Some Resources To Learn Spanish
16) Should I Move To Panama? Will I Like It?
- Take our quiz to find out
I am retiring and we (my wife and daughter and, maybe, our son) will be coming to Puerto Armuelles around October, 2015. It is now mid-May, 2015. We plan to stay in the area for about a month to evaluate it as a possible permanent residence. I would love to contact you (and anyone else on this site who lives in the area) when we have firmed up the time frame. We are currently in Bellevue, WA. BTW, the reason I indicated the current date is that there are no dates on the comments here and it is very difficult… Read more »
Does anyone know the address of the immigration office in David? I need a short extension for my passport. The border is asking for 500. cash and a credit card and a airline ticket leaving panama. My ticket is an e-ticket for oct.
So I hear that you can go to immigration office for a short extension.
Is there any homes for rent in Puerto Armuelles? or in the surrounding area?
Hello Pam, I know of a couple different people who live here in Puerto Armuelles on less than #1,200. per month. So, I would say the answer to your question is yes. Just like in the U.S. it does depend on where you live and on your lifestyle, like Betsy and Reyn said. My husband and I have lived here for several years and we love it. Our five main monthly bills usually cost around $115. (water, electric, cable tv, trash pick up and phone with internet) We do not find it necessary to use our air conditioners but people… Read more »
I am considering Panama as a possible retirement home. I keep seeing on line you can be comfortable on $1200.00 a month is that really true?