November 27 2012
Do you Have A Panama Pensionado Visa?
You can now easily get a cedula.
Life is much easier in Panama with a cedula.
The editor of The Panama Guide, Don Winter, writes this about this new development.
“Cool. Now everyone out there who already has a pensionado visa can also obtain your permanent identification card (cedula). This is a big advantage, because in the Panamanian business community as soon as you flash a cedula, then they relax because you’ve been completely identified, even though you’re a foreigner. I zip through the airport using the “Panamanian” line in immigration, just by showing my cedula.”
In August 2012, the National Immigration Service (SNM) announced:
- Before permanent residency was being given to retirees, but they could not complete the process to be given a personal identification card (cedula).
- Now Pensionados can be issued a cedula.
What is A Cedula?
- “Cédula” comes from the Latin word, schedula, which means a small piece of paper
- In Panama, cédula, refers to the identification card issued by the Civil Registry of Panama.
- Cedulas were first issued for the purpose of voter identification
- The card displays your name, date and place of birth, gender, a photo, signature, thumbprint, as well as the dates of issue and expiration. On the back, it also has a magnetic strip that contains all the same information, digitally.
- Used for proof of age. This is especially important if you’re entitled to retiree discounts. You can get retirement discounts if you have any type of Panama residency visa once you are 60 for men or 55 for women.
- With a cédula, you have more standardized rights and access than those with tourist cards or other non-permanent immigration visas.
- The cédula is now used as an all-purpose national identification card in Panama.
When you are dealing with banks and lawyers, one of the first items you will be asked for is your cédula. If you don’t have one, everything seems to get alittle more complicated.
Having a cédula makes life easier in Panama.
It is great news it is now its much easier for Pensionados to get one.