UPDATED: March 21, 2020
Panama is closing down.
On Sunday, March 22 at 11:59pm, Panama is banning all commercial flights into or out of Panama.
You have 3 days to get into or out of Panama.
Remember though, as I explained in this post, currently you can only enter Panama if you are a citizen or a permanent resident.
This flight moratorium is in effect for 30 days. At least for now.
If you do enter Panama, you are directed to self-quarantine for 14 days.
As of March 22 @ 11:59pm all Copa Airline flights (domestic and international) are cancelled until April 21st. However, they also have cancelled some flights prior to that. Make sure to confirm your flight.
In addition, all Copa passengers that require travel through March 22, 2020 can make unlimited changes to their reservation free of charge regardless of fare, or destination. Check out this link for a full explanation of their conditions.
Even after March 22nd, Air Panama is continuing their domestic flights within Panama. However, they are allowing cancellations and credits to existing flights. See their website for details.
If you cannot find an available domestic flight, you can take a bus. However, the number of scheduled bus trips have decreased, and are likely to be cancelled completely.
Of course, you always have the expensive option of hiring a taxi to drive you to airport.
Travel In Panama
The government of Panama is encouraging everyone to stay home as much as possible.
- Gatherings over 20 people are banned
- There is a country-wide curfew of 9pm to 5am. Take the curfew seriously. You could be arrested and/or fined if you do not comply.
- Bars and restaurants are closed, although they can still offer food for take-out.
- You cannot buy alcohol until April 7th – at least in the Chiriqui province.
- The government is also restricting people from leaving the most affected areas such as Panama City and Colon.
For my daily update on Panama Coronavirus cases and related bans and restrictions, read this post.
If you don’t have to travel, don’t. Let’s do what we can to shut down the transmission of this virus.